Monroe County Schools Homeless Liaison
Lee Anne Strickland, Federal Programs Director
205 Oak Grove Road
Madisonville, TN 37354
INFORMATION FOR SCHOOL-AGE YOUTH
If you live in any of the following situations:
- In a shelter
- In a motel or campground due to lack of an alternative adequate accommodation
- In a car, park, abandoned building, or bus or train station
- Doubled up with other people due to loss of housing or economic hardship
You may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act.
Eligible students have a right to:
- Receive a free, appropriate public education.
- Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
- Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
- Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is there preference and is feasible.
- If the school district believes that the school selected is not in his or her best interest, then the district must provide the student with a written explanation of its position and inform the student of his or her right to appeal its decision.
- Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if requested.
- Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to the students’ needs.
If you believe you may be eligible, contact the local liaison to find out what services and supports may be available.
If you need further assistance with your educational needs, contact the National Center for Homeless Education:
Tennessee Department of Education’s Guidance on Education for Homeless Children and Youth, authorized under the Title VII-B of the McKinney-Vento Act, was reauthorized in December 2015 by the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
United States Department of Education’s Guidance for Homeless Children and Youth under the McKinney-Vento Act as Amended by the Every Student Succeeds Act